Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad

Today is my Dad's birthday.  He would have been 85.  He, like Mom left us too young, although a blessing because his physical body was worn out.  Mentally he had moved on too, Alzheimer's taking it all away.  The last time I saw him I left in tears.  It was so hard to see him like that. 

He died the morning before TJ entered the MTC, so I happened to be in town.  Lori and I were planning to visit him that morning.  I was glad I didn't have to visit him again, that he was now free of his earthly body and with Mom.

I have many great memories of my Dad.  I was his favorite, at least until Lisa and Lori come along.  I loved to go fishing with him.  I remember leaving VERY early (I hated that part) and stopping at the Hub in Heber for breakfast before heading up to Strawberry Reservoir.  I always caught lots of fish because he kept my line baited and ready for me at the expense of his own fishing. 

I remember trips to Yellowstone and the "Fun Farm" somewhere in Idaho.  I remember travelling behind the motor home all the way to Bryce Canyon, going the long way, very slowly.  I remember his beautiful lawn that was so soft to sit on, always the greenest on the block.  I remember when we were sealed in the Manti Temple, with all five of us children kneeling around the altar with Mom and Dad.

I wish I had had more talks with him about his life.  He never talked about the war.  I never heard too much about his childhood, his father, his grandparents.  I have bits and pieces of stories, not really sure which are true and which may have been "enhanced".

I loved my Dad very much.  I miss my parents, I wish they could meet my grandchildren.  I'm sure they are watching from above and know all about everything that is going on in my life.  Someday we will be able to have that talk.

Julie

2 comments:

The Zobells said...

Thanks for writing this. You made a great tribute to Dad!!

Lisa Haws and family said...

Oh, how I miss him. Sure wish that they were still around. I'd have a lot to talk to them about!!